A man driving his electric vehicle on the North Wales Expressway suffered serious injuries after his car suddenly caught fire. The incident took place near Broughton on a Tuesday morning. According to reports, the car burst into flames without any prior warning, which led bystanders to rush to the car and pull the man out of the burning vehicle. Paramedics arrived at the scene to provide medical assistance.
As per the Liverpool Echo, the man was transported to a hospital via ambulance with “serious, possibly life-changing injuries.” The Welsh Ambulance Service responded to the scene with two rapid response vehicles, an emergency ambulance, a helicopter, and the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service.
The authorities immediately closed the road at the site of the accident around 8:45 a.m. local time, which remained blocked for several hours. Fire crews remained on the scene for a long time since the car involved in the incident was an electric vehicle, as stated by Chief Inspector Alwyn Williams of North Wales Police.
This recent incident follows another electric car fire that made headlines earlier this week, which happened back in June. As electric cars become more popular, such incidents raise questions about the safety of electric vehicles and their batteries, especially in the event of an accident.
Gonzalo Salazar, the owner of a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace, recently experienced a major issue with his electric vehicle after two years of driving it without any problems. As per Electrek, Salazar reported that on June 16, he left his car plugged in overnight, and the next day he drove the vehicle for approximately 12 miles before returning it to the garage. Shortly after going back inside his house, Salazar began to hear strange popping noises coming from his garage. When he went outside, he saw thick smoke emanating from the car.
Salazar contacted Jaguar roadside assistance, requesting that they transport the vehicle to a safer location, but the situation continued to worsen. As he ended the conversation, there were more popping noises, and then flames appeared from under the car. Salazar immediately dialed 911 for assistance.
Unfortunately, the fire rapidly engulfed the vehicle, and the majority of the car was eventually destroyed. After the fire was put out, photos of the car showed that only a small portion of the front of the car remained intact. According to Salazar, the fire was not a slow burn, and multiple popping sounds accompanied it.
This incident has become the fourth known occurrence of a Jaguar I-Pace battery catching fire without any apparent cause. As electric cars become more popular, such incidents raise questions about the safety of electric vehicles and their batteries, especially in the event of a fire. Manufacturers must ensure that their products are safe and reliable and take prompt action to investigate any incidents that occur.
1 thought on “Electric Vehicle Fire Leaves Driver with Severe Injuries in North Wales”
Lithium explosions are particularly bad because you might have burn injuries, but the high concentration of deadly gas is probably the most serious. New designs for modified or non-lithium power supplies/batteries are now being requested.